Skip to main content

The Million Dollar Tip I Learned From My Two Year Olds Book

Peace Family,

I was in the bookstore this week looking for books for my two year old son who absolutely loves reading time. I sat down on the floor next to the shelf of books that I know he'd love. There was a Dr. Seuss shelf not too far from me and after a while I decided to take a look. My son has never really expressed any liking to the Dr. Seuss books we have at home but I figured 'why not?' The first one I grabbed was Green Eggs & Ham. I read the book and it occurred to me that Sam-I-Am was on to something. In fact, he had a great lesson to offer business owners, not just children. Sam-I-Am is Marc Cuban, Richard Branson, Robert F. Smith, Quintin Primo III and so many more! If you've read this book then you'd know why I compared Sam-I-Am to some of the world's most successful entrepreneurs, millionaires.

We hear it all of the time, CONSISTENCY is key so I found it quite amusing that even though the character kept saying 'I do not like green eggs and ham' Sam-I-Am assumed it was because he did not have the right setting or needed someone or something to eat them with. But not one time did he actually take no for an answer. Now some of you may think to yourself 'I'm not going to be a bugaboo' but in the world of sales, there is no such thing. Sam-I-Am was addressing mere potential concerns as he saw it. He knew his product was great and if only he just got the character to try them he'd be golden (or green). He believed so much in his product, in himself that he did not allow objections to discourage him or cause him to quit altogether. If only we could believe in ourselves this much, in our brands this much, in our businesses this much.

By the end of the book the character knew Sam-I-Am was not letting up until he tried the green eggs and ham, so he did. HE LOVED THEM! He was so angry and frustrated the entire book but ended pleasantly surprised that he did in fact like green eggs and ham.  Sam-I-Am had just earned himself a new client. So the next time you're faced with an objection or concern, ask yourself 'What would Sam-I-Am do?'


Visit iSpeakLOUD.com to get started with our essential business building services offered. We help Black business owners at every stage of their business from start-up to rebranding. I look forward to working with you soon!

-Charlotte

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Business Owners: Why Client Experience SELLS!

TOO OFTEN I hear my peers talk about their bad experiences with Black owned businesses. I would defend my people to the DEATH! But at some point we have to hold each other accountable. You do that when you love someone. With over thirteen years of customer service experience I felt qualified to give 3 tips that will help increase sales and drive business. Currently I am a financial investment advisor for a well known broker dealer in the United States and at this point in my career I can say that no matter what business you're in, these three tips will WORK! I started out in retail and learned the basics, you know, 'the customer is always right' and when became a licensed professional I realized that there was much more to that. What it really means is, as long as I am doing everything right my clients won't have anything to complain about and if they do I didn't do everything right. Now I know some of you are saying 'people will complain even when you do everyt

Becoming An Entrepreneur Changed My Life

Just like many business owners in the Black community I assumed putting together the basis of my business would be similar to baking an instant cake. I would gather my ingredients, mix them and throw it in the oven to bake. The only problem is, my cake (business) didn't rise. I thought to myself 'I must be missing something' only I couldn't figure out what it was! February of 2015 I completed something for the first time in my life on my own and it felt amazing! I became a licensed Investment financial advisor. I was working for one of the top financial brokerage firms in America. Life was GREAT!  February 2016 I delivered my first iSpeakLOUD seminar broadcast. It struck something in me, talking about the Black community and our issues; ways to possibly solve them. This went on for a few months but then it occurred to me that I am capable of doing more. Talking about it just didn't cut it anymore. I sought out someone to build me a website and iSpeakLOUD Sol