Skip to main content

Black Business Owners: Why Client Experience SELLS!

TOO OFTEN I hear my peers talk about their bad experiences with Black owned businesses. I would defend my people to the DEATH! But at some point we have to hold each other accountable. You do that when you love someone. With over thirteen years of customer service experience I felt qualified to give 3 tips that will help increase sales and drive business. Currently I am a financial investment advisor for a well known broker dealer in the United States and at this point in my career I can say that no matter what business you're in, these three tips will WORK! I started out in retail and learned the basics, you know, 'the customer is always right' and when became a licensed professional I realized that there was much more to that. What it really means is, as long as I am doing everything right my clients won't have anything to complain about and if they do I didn't do everything right. Now I know some of you are saying 'people will complain even when you do everything right' and my question to you is, did you kill them with kindness? Were you genuinely concerned about their issue? This brings me to my first tip: Lead with a smile. Your actions affect someone else's day and typically when people spend their money, no matter how much, they want to feel appreciated for it. There's a positive emotional connection that you want your clients to have when they think of your business. Train your staff to ALWAYS smile and treat your clients like the family you always wished you had (we've all done it). A lot of times we feel like if we make the BEST shrimp and grits in town or offer the BEST fade in the state it doesn't matter if we're prompt or polite. WE COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG. I have told many businesses I'd rather eat bland food and be treated like I matter than eat the best and be treated like just another order. I do not tolerate mediocre service and you have to assume ALL of your clients are just like me. Remember, first impressions aren't about how you made a person feel about you, it is about how you made them feel about themselves. My next tip is, ask for more business. If you are confident that you've offered exceptional service, ASK and follow up with asking for more business. It sounds something like this 'Thank you for your visit John Doe, were you satisfied with your service today?' If the answer is yes, then follow up with 'We strive to give you excellent service, be sure to tell your friends and family about us, here are some cards/coupons.' Train your staff to ALWAYS ask this question and encourage this FREE advertisement from your clients. If you want more business ASK FOR IT from the people who'd be happy to spread the word for FREE, satisfied clients. My last tip is actually my most favorite. Your angry client is your biggest opportunity. I've built a reputation on retaining business and turning irate clients into the most loyal. Think about it, if you are able to communicate to a irate client that you are willing to make sure that they are satisfied because you CARE you would have proven your dedication and that client will have a new appreciation for it. Discounts aren't always the answer, I want to feel like my complaint is valid whether it was a misunderstanding or mix up altogether, then I want a clear solution (something that makes sense) and a follow up. I can't emphasize how important that process is when dealing with an dissatisfied client. Not only will they be loyal clients but one of your key business driving components. They will tell EVERYONE they know about how much they LOVE doing business with you. So remember, LEAD WITH A SMILE, ASK FOR MORE BUSINESS and YOUR ANGRY CLIENT IS YOUR BIGGEST OPPORTUNITY. These tips are simple and I PROMISE you if you are consistent with them your BUSINESS WILL GROW!

Comments

  1. Some companies actually think about their clientele more than their products. Folks wanna feel like they are getting an experience. When I leave a Black own d business and I get quality, price, and a great interaction with folks in the store; that’s something that I will remember. Treating customers like they owe you something is a sure fire way to lose my bread, Black/White. Let’s focus on the experience and I guarantee more folks will fall through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Million Dollar Tip I Learned From My Two Year Olds Book

Peace Family, I was in the bookstore this week looking for books for my two year old son who absolutely loves reading time. I sat down on the floor next to the shelf of books that I know he'd love. There was a Dr. Seuss shelf not too far from me and after a while I decided to take a look. My son has never really expressed any liking to the Dr. Seuss books we have at home but I figured 'why not?' The first one I grabbed was Green Eggs & Ham. I read the book and it occurred to me that Sam-I-Am was on to something. In fact, he had a great lesson to offer business owners, not just children. Sam-I-Am is Marc Cuban, Richard Branson, Robert F. Smith, Quintin Primo III and so many more! If you've read this book then you'd know why I compared Sam-I-Am to some of the world's most successful entrepreneurs, millionaires. We hear it all of the time, CONSISTENCY is key so I found it quite amusing that even though the character kept saying 'I do not like green eggs

Becoming An Entrepreneur Changed My Life

Just like many business owners in the Black community I assumed putting together the basis of my business would be similar to baking an instant cake. I would gather my ingredients, mix them and throw it in the oven to bake. The only problem is, my cake (business) didn't rise. I thought to myself 'I must be missing something' only I couldn't figure out what it was! February of 2015 I completed something for the first time in my life on my own and it felt amazing! I became a licensed Investment financial advisor. I was working for one of the top financial brokerage firms in America. Life was GREAT!  February 2016 I delivered my first iSpeakLOUD seminar broadcast. It struck something in me, talking about the Black community and our issues; ways to possibly solve them. This went on for a few months but then it occurred to me that I am capable of doing more. Talking about it just didn't cut it anymore. I sought out someone to build me a website and iSpeakLOUD Sol